Minnesota United 5, Los Angeles Football Club 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Minnesota United produced one of their best performances in Major League Soccer to date on Sunday evening, ambushing LAFC at TCF Bank Stadium by a stunning 5-1 margin as Christian Ramirez, Darwin Quintero and the rest of the Loons attack ran riot on the expansion side in front of a packed, delirious home crowd.
Rasmus Schuller opened the scoring in this open, flowing match only for Benny Feilhaber to strike back immediately for the visitors just a minute later. That was as close as the Californians – who were missing superstar Carlos Vela, who was left at home to rest – would get, however.
Ramirez pushed the Loons back in front and Quintero bagged a fine solo effort in the moments before halftime, and after the break Miguel Ibarra turned the occasion into a rout before his friend and longtime MNUFC partner-in-crime Ramirez bagged his brace to cap an incredible result.
- 25' – MIN – Rasmus Schuller | WATCH
- 26' – LAFC – Benny Feilhaber | WATCH
- 45' – MIN – Christian Ramirez | WATCH
- 45+1' – MIN – Darwin Quintero | WATCH
- 56' – MIN – Miguel Ibarra | WATCH
- 58' – MIN – Christian Ramirez | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: LAFC may write this off as a blip, though it's hardly the ideal lead-in to Thursday's El Trafico showdown with the Galaxy. Meanwhile, the Loons have a new idea of what's possible with Quintero at full bore.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Quintero's strike dealt the visitors a hammer blow just before the break, and even with some personnel and tactical changes in the second half, they never looked like recovering.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Ramirez hit for two, but as has been the case for the last several weeks, Darwin "The Goal Scientist" Quintero was the straw that stirred Minnesota's drink.